Why See OMFS
Why do I need to see a specialist?
Because of their unique training Oral and Maxillofacial Specialists (OMFS) are the best option for any patient requiring surgery in the mouth or jaws. Their knowledge, training and skill in complicated surgical procedures, treatment management and essential post operative management provides patients with an effective and efficient clinical outcome.
There are non-specialist dental providers providing identical procedures of similar cost, that do not possess the same standard of training.
Within Western Australia there are a limited number of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons – training is lengthy and very comprehensive, an example of a typical training program below shows the depth of commitment required to provide patients the best clinical outcome available.
The typical training program for an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon is:
- 4 years Medical Degree (MBBS)
- Worked as Resident Medical Officer for 2 years
- 5 Years Dental School (BDSc)
- Worked as a Dentist for 3 years
- 4 – 6 Years Surgical Residency Training
- After completion of surgical training there are final specialty examinations:(Australia/NZ: "FRACDS(OMS)"),
How to make an appointment